This page lists forthcoming activities of the participating societies and of their European friends. Most of the entries link to a call for papers. See the Archive for past activities.
Because of the pandemic, many of the activities listed below may be postponed.
More information will be found on the websites linked below.
• 27-29 March 2020. Symposium Beethoven the European, Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini of Lucca in collaboration with Ad Parnassum, Journal of Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century Instrumental Music. Description and Call for Papers. The conference is re-scheduled to a date to be set in Autumn 2020.
• 3-4 April 2020. Analysis and Description of Timbre in Fixed Music, colloquium organized by the Jean Monnet University (University of Saint-Etienne), Music department, and the CIEREC (Centre Interdisciplinaire d’Etudes et de Recherche sur l’Expression Contemporaine) in collaboration with the SFAM. Programme. Postponed to 2021.
• 15-17 April 2020. Working In Music Conference 2020, University of Turku, Finland. Cancelled.
• 20-22 April 2020. International HarMA Seminar Event, Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music, Budapest, in collaboration with the Royal Conservatoire, Brussels. Postponed to 28-30 April 2021.
• 6-8 May 2020. Universität Innsbruck. International Symposium Entangled Histories and Voices. Popular Music & approcci postcoloniali / approches postcoloniales / acercamientos postcoloniales. Postponed to April 28th-30th 2021.
• 16 May 2020. Low End Theories: Understanding Bass Music and Culture. Joint BFE/RMA Study Day, University of Bristol, UK. Postponed to Autumn 2020.
• 16 May 2020. Brain. Cognition. Emotion. Music. Online conference, University of Kent, Canterbury, UK.
• 25-27 May 2020. Study Days or Musical Computing, organized by the French Society of Musical Computing (Association Française d’Informatique Musicale, AFIM). The Call for papers is open until 7 February 2020. Postponed to 26-28 October 2020.
• 28-30 May 2020. Seventh International Congress: Music and Audio-Visual Culture MUCA. University of Murcia, Spain. Postponed.
• 17-20 June 2020. Future Directions of Electroacoustic Music Studies. Celebrating 20 years of Music, Technology & Innovation. De Montfort University, Leicester, UK. Postponed to June 2021.
• 17-20 June 2020. Music, Communication and Performance 2020. Online conference of the Associazione Europea di Musica e Comunicazione, Montecassino, Italy.
• 29 June-1 July 2020. 10th International Workshop on Folk Music Analysis (FMA 2020). Virtual Workshop.
• 30 June-1 July 2020. International Conference on Musical Form, organised by the Formal Theory Study Group of the SMA in association with the Department of Music, Durham University, Supported by North-Eastern Music Analysis Collective. Call for Paper on the Web page of the Conference. Postponed until further notice.
• 23-25 July 2020. Birmingham Music Analysis Conference, University of Birmingham. Call for Papers. Postponed to 29-31 July 2021.
• 4-8 September 2020. 15th International Congress on Musical Signification, Escola Superior de Música de Catalunya in Barcelona.
• 8-10 September 2020. 56th Annual Conference of the Royal Musical Association, Goldsmiths, University of London. Call for papers.
• 16-19 September 2020. XVII. International Congress of the German Musicological Society, University of Bonn and Beethoven House Bonn. Call for papers. New date: 28 September to 1 October 2021 in Bonn.
• 21-26 September 2020. EuroMAC 10, the European Conference of Music Analysis. Moscow, Tchaikovsky Conservatory. The main theme is Analysis, Theory and History of Music: and/or/vs Relationship. Postponed to 20-25 September 2021.
• 1-4 October 2020. The GMTh (Gesellschaft für Musiktheorie) will hold its 20th Annual Conference in Detmold: Musik verstehen?. Online conference.
• 15-17 October 2020 (postponed from 14-16 May 2020). RE-peat please!, IASPM Benelux International Conference. University of Antwerp, Belgium. Postponed to 7-9 October 2021.
• 24-25 October 2020. 16th Days of Music Theory, HDGT. Elly Bašic Music School, Zagreb.
• 26-29 November 2020. 17th International Conference on Music Theory and Analysis, GATM. Online conference. Information and Call for papers.
• 27-28 November 2020. International Conference Musicology and Its Future in Times of Crisis, on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the Department of Musicology, Academy of Music, University of Zagreb.
• 2-3 December 2020. 6th International Conference Musical Analysis. Historia-Theoria-Praxis, Karol Lipiński Academy of Music, Wrocław.
• 10-11 December 2020. Shakespeare and Music: New Interdisciplinary Perspectives, inaugural conference of the ‘Shakespeare and Music’ Study Group. Thursday 10 December at the University of Manchester and Friday 11 December at the University of Huddersfield. Deadline for proposals: 15 September 2020.
If you want to announce a European activity in the field of music theory and/or analysis, write us at europeanmusictheory [at] gmail.com